personal injury lawyers
Fighting for maximum injury compensation for you and your family
No Fees Until We Win
How To File A Personal Injury Claim Without A Lawyer
When you have been injured by a negligent act of another person or business, you have the right to receive compensation for your losses. Some people want to know if they must hire a personal injury attorney to file a claim. The answer is no.
It is perfectly legal for you to file your own claim for compensation. However, unless you know all of the legal issues surrounding a claim, it may be in your best interest to work with an attorney instead.
How To File A Personal Injury Claim On Your Own
– You must notify the insurance company that is covering the accident that you intend to file a claim. This must be done within the timeframe set by the insurance company.
– You must prepare and file all of the appropriate paperwork to file with the court and ensure that all the right people receive the legal notifications of your intentions.
– You must gather all evidence to prove fault in the case so that you can show why you are entitled to receive compensation. This includes interviewing witnesses, collecting evidence, and reviewing statements.
– You must gather all of your medical documentation and work with the doctors to determine the complexity of your injuries and potential outcome.
– You must gather all financial information relating to the accident and losses so that you can determine the amount of the loss.
– If there is a potential for future losses due to extended medical care or loss of income, you will need to calculate these factors to add to your compensation plan
– You must know every type of compensation that is available to you and the value that you can give each type as related to your specific case. There is a legal formula that must be followed to determine the amount for pain and suffering compensation if that is allowed for your case.
– You must meet all deadlines when negotiating with the insurance company for a settlement offer. Any missed deadline can result in your case being dismissed.
– You must be able to prepare your case for trial if necessary. The court will allow you to self-represent only if you can meet all the standards of having a case heard in court.
Every aspect of a personal injury case also has deadlines attached to them. You must respond to all the requests of the insurance company as well. Missing any of these deadlines or responses can cause your case to be denied or dismissed.
The Benefits Of An Experienced Personal Injury Attorney
As you can see, there are many different issues that must be addressed when you are making a compensation claim. If you are not familiar with the entire process you could be setting yourself up for a major loss in compensation or a denied claim.
When you have been injured, your main focus should be on your recovery. You do not need to be bothered with preparing paperwork, interviewing witnesses, deciphering medical records, or negotiating with insurance adjusters. High levels of stress from trying to manage your claim can also slow your recovery process.
Having an attorney manage all aspects of your case gives you peace of mind and allows you to focus on what really matters most – your recovery.
If you have been injured, save yourself any more headaches and speak with a personal injury attorney about your claim. They can provide you with all of the information you need to make a compensation claim. Your attorney understands the law and how insurance companies process their claims. Take advantage of their experience and knowledge and allow them to manage your claim.
Read more: How much does a personal injury lawyer cost?