personal injury lawyers
Fighting for maximum injury compensation for you and your family
No Fees Until We Win
How To Settle A Personal Injury Claim Without An Attorney ?
If you have been in a car accident, you may think that you can file the personal injury claim yourself. After all, you were there; you know what happened and your injuries and losses.
For a very basic car accident where there is little damage to the vehicle and minor injuries that can quickly heal, you may be right. You can call and talk with the insurance company about covering your medical, repairing your vehicle, and maybe even throwing in some cases for your missed time at work.
If you have severe or multiple injuries or a death in the accident, it will always be in your best interest to work with an attorney.
Related: Jersey City car accident lawyer
Things To Remember When Making A Compensation Claim
If you are going to try to file a claim for compensation for your injuries and losses, you are encouraged to use the following tips.
– Make sure that you know how to manage medical liens and that all doctor bills are paid from the settlement. If you are unsure what a medical lien is, you will need to call the billing department of the places where you were treated for your injuries. You are also encouraged to try to negotiate discounts on your care.
– Always remember that the insurance company is not your friend. The insurance company cares about one thing only – saving money. Do not think for one minute they will play fair, help you with your claim, or reveal any types of compensation that you are entitled to but were unaware of when you made your claim.
– Make sure that you calculate all of your losses. This includes medical care costs, lost income and benefits, and any potential losses you may have in the future for medical care and missed time.
– Be aware that everything that you say or put into writing with the insurance company is going to be used by their adjusters and attorneys to diminish your claim. You must be very savvy about how you approach them for compensation.
– Get your negotiating skills set for high gear. You will not receive the amount that you initially have asked for- ever. Compensation claims are a negotiation process. With this in mind, make sure that you ask for over the amount you require for compensation to have room to negotiate, or you may lose money in the end.
– Always review the newest laws regarding personal injuries and review the insurance policy covering the case. This way, you will know what you can claim for compensation and if there are any restrictions or issues that may affect your claim.
– Make sure you meet all legal deadlines for filing a claim and responding to the insurance company. There are laws regulating the time limits, and this could cause you to lose your right to make a claim.
– Do not begin negotiations until you have reached Maximum Medical Improvement (MMI). Once you negotiate the settlement and accept the insurance company’s offer, they are no longer liable to you. Even if you find out later that there are more issues with your injury, there are bills left unpaid, or if there are losses you forgot to claim, they will no longer be obligated to cover these expenses.
Further reading: Why Is My Personal Injury Case Going To Trial?
If You Feel Uncomfortable With The Process – Speak To An Attorney
There are a lot of hoops to jump through when you file a compensation claim. Missing any part of the process can cause you to lose the case. If you have any doubts about the filing process, please feel free to speak with an attorney today.
Further reading: How long after car accident can you claim injury in NJ?