personal injury lawyers

Fighting for maximum injury compensation for you and your family

No Fees Until We Win

What Are New Jersey’s Comparative Fault Laws?

Hello! Are you interested in learning about New Jersey’s Comparative Fault Laws? You’re in the right place for that. These laws are important, especially if you find yourself in a situation where fault is being debated. They help determine who is responsible and to what extent. 

Let’s explore these laws together and understand how they work. This knowledge could be very useful if you ever face such a situation. Let’s begin our journey into understanding New Jersey’s Comparative Fault Laws.

What Are New Jersey's Comparative Fault Laws?

Comparative Negligence Act in New Jersey

Imagine you’re driving to work in New Jersey, and you slightly exceed the speed limit. Suddenly, another car runs a red light and crashes into you.

You both suffer damages and decide to take the case to court. In this scenario, Comparative Negligence comes into play.

The court examines the accident and concludes that while the other driver was mostly at fault for running the red light, your speeding contributed to the accident, too.

They assign 80% of the responsibility to the other driver for the red light violation and 20% to you for speeding.

So, if the total damages are $10,000, you would be responsible for 20% ($2,000), and the other driver would be responsible for 80% ($8,000).

This example illustrates how Comparative Negligence fairly distributes the blame and the financial responsibility based on each party’s contribution to the accident.

New Jersey Comparative Negligence Act

This law is codified under N.J.S.A. 2A:15-5.1 to 5.8. It outlines the rules for determining fault in an accident and how damages are awarded based on each party’s degree of fault.

Negligence Statute of Limitations in New Jersey

You can’t wait forever to file a negligence claim in New Jersey. There’s a time limit known as the “Statute of Limitations.” Typically, you have two years from the accident date. Miss this deadline; there’s no going back.

This timeline is crucial because evidence can fade, and memories can blur. So, if you’re considering filing a claim, the clock’s ticking. Don’t sleep on this!

See also: Understanding What The Law Means By Negligence

Comparative Fault Laws in Auto Accidents in NJ

Comparative Fault Laws are like the traffic rules of legal claims on New Jersey roads. If you’re part of a car accident, how much you can recover in damages depends on your fault.

Imagine you’re a delivery driver in New Jersey, driving a van filled with packages. You’re behind schedule, so you’re driving a bit faster than usual.

As you approach an intersection, the light turns yellow, and you decide to speed up instead of stopping. 

At the same time, another driver, distracted by their phone, makes a left turn in front of you, causing a collision.

Both of you sustain injuries and vehicle damage. The case goes to court to determine who is liable for the damages.

After reviewing the evidence, the court concludes that while the other driver was mainly at fault for being distracted and turning unsafely, your decision to speed through a yellow light contributed to the accident. The court assigns 70% of the fault to the other driver and 30% to you.

New Jersey insurance companies now routinely use comparative fault rules when settling claims, assessing each party’s fault to determine the settlement amount.

See also: NJ Car Accident Lawyer

Comparative Fault Laws in Truck Accidents in New Jersey

Comparative fault laws in truck accidents in New Jersey mean that when a truck is involved in an accident, figuring out who is responsible is more complicated due to the truck’s large size. This is because trucks, much bigger than cars, often cause more damage. 

When deciding compensation for damages, New Jersey looks at how much each person involved is at fault. If you are partly at fault for the accident, the amount you can get as compensation will be reduced based on your share of the fault.

This rule is similar to other vehicle accidents, but the potential damage and the money involved are usually much greater with trucks.

How Much Comparative Fault Laws Impact Your Case in NJ

In New Jersey, comparative fault laws significantly affect your legal case. If you’re partly at fault in an incident, it can reduce the money you might get. It’s balancing scales, the less you are at fault, the more money you could receive. 

Each tiny detail, like evidence or what witnesses say, is important. These details can help tilt the balance in your favor, affecting how much fault is assigned to you and how much compensation you can claim.

Evidence and Witness Statements

The court or insurance company will scrutinize all available evidence, including traffic camera footage, accident scene photos, and witness statements, to assess each party’s fault.

Settlement Negotiations

Understanding comparative fault laws is crucial during settlement negotiations, as it affects the amount you can recover. A higher degree of fault on your part means a lower settlement.

Recent Cases

Recent court decisions in New Jersey continue to uphold the principles of comparative negligence. For instance, in a 2022 case involving a multi-vehicle accident, the court applied comparative fault principles to divide the damages based on each driver’s percentage of fault.

New Jersey Several Liability

“Several Liability” sounds complex, but it’s simple. It means in a legal situation, you’re only responsible for the part of the problem that’s your fault, nothing more. 

For example, if you’re 20% at fault in an accident, you only pay 20% of the damages. This is fair because you don’t have to pay for others’ mistakes. It’s about being responsible only for your actions. 

This rule ensures that each person involved pays a fair amount based on their involvement and won’t be stuck paying for someone else’s mistakes. It’s all about keeping things fair and square.

Several Liability

New Jersey’s approach to several liability, as per N.J.S.A. 2A:15-5.3, means that each party is only responsible for their proportion of the damages, based on their percentage of fault.

How to Contact an Experienced Attorney in New Jersey

It’s advisable to contact a lawyer who specializes in personal injury law, especially one familiar with New Jersey’s comparative fault laws, for guidance in navigating your case.

Finding an experienced attorney in New Jersey can be your ticket to surpass these tricky situations.

A quick online search or a call to your local bar association or a law firm like Rosengard Law Group can put you in touch with someone who knows the ins and outs of Comparative Fault Laws. 

Don’t hesitate – the right advice can make all the difference!

FAQs

Injured Due to Negligence?

If you’re injured due to negligence in New Jersey, act fast! Document everything and consider consulting a lawyer. Remember, the clock’s ticking on that Statute of Limitations.

What’s Modified Comparative Negligence in NJ?

In New Jersey, Modified Comparative Negligence means you can’t recover damages if you’re more than 50% at fault. It’s like a seesaw – stay on the lower side of the fault, and you’re in the clear.

Conclusion

New Jersey’s Comparative Fault Laws are like a complex puzzle. They’re important to know, especially if you’re in an accident. These laws decide how much fault, or blame, is yours. Your share of the fault affects how much money you can get if you’re hurt.

There’s also a time limit to act. If you’re unsure, asking a lawyer for help is wise. It’s good to be aware of these rules for safety and preparation, even though you hope never to need them.

Free Injury Case Evaluation

Send the form below and we will call you back in minutes.

…or Call Us Now

856-284-6446